Sunday, October 14, 2012

Gender

I tend to get along better with males. Perhaps this is because I grew up with my uncle - only 9 years my senior - and my older brother. I was always with boys. I wanted to play the video games that they played. I wanted to ride my bike with them. I wanted to play in the woods with them. Anything to fit in with the guys. Yet, somehow, I remained decidedly feminine. Yes, I fought it on occasion through my teenage angst years  (lots of baggy clothes and flannel). But, I definitely remember being with my Nana and enjoying dressing up, playing with dolls, cooking - all things typically identified with females. There are some things, though, that are associated with girls that I never really enjoyed: talking on the phone, shopping, going to clubs to flirt with dudes.
I have gay friends and even a relative who is newly "out". I knew a cross-gendered individual through my last job - if only all of my customers could have been that kind and friendly. I have a very good friend whose 6 year old son is struggling with gender identity. (No matter how many GI Joes and trucks she puts in front of him, he wants Santa to bring him Barbies and dress up clothes. She loves him no matter what, but worries about how he'll be accepted in school and later in life). I've always been very open and accepting of these folks. I can only imagine the anger, hurt, and fear they've had to endure at one point or another in their lives. I sympathize for their struggles, and I embrace them for their courage to stand up and be who they are. I can't imagine choosing to cut someone out of my life just because they are gay or cross-gendered.
I agree with the points made in the excerpt of "Yes, Ma'am" by Deirdre McCloskey. Our society has ideals for how men and women should act in order to properly identify them as men and women. It is sad that in this day and age people still judge and even sometimes brutalize these individuals who are only being who they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment