Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Being a Woman

In Sojourner Truth's essay Ain't I a Woman? she compares differences between men and woman, and in the process shows the reader that there aren't that many differences after all. She illustrates what men can do and just as quickly says she can do all of those things too even though she is a woman.
This essay was written during a time when woman weren't given equal rights as men. Sojourner was part of a movement that lasted - and is still ongoing to a certain extent - for decades. She was out to prove that just because a man did it, doesn't mean a woman can't do it just as good, or better. She even makes the point that Jesus didn't come from man. He came from God and a woman. So, if Eve "was strong enough to turn the world upside down all alone", you men better watch out because us women are a force to be reckoned with.
I loved this essay because I agree wholeheartedly with it. I was raised by my grandmother who is an exceptionally strong individual. I am so gratful to have had, and still have, her influence in my life. Because of her I know that I can do anything a man can do and that I don't need to rely on anyone but myself to get things done. I am strong and independent, and I owe it all to a 4'10" woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment