Friday, September 14, 2012

I Am From Krypton


This week my blog post is going to be very boring. Why? Because I am sleep deprived, and sleeping is my super power, people (please see the "about me" blurb to your right). So, not having any sleep is the equivalent of my Kryptonite. For those of you from under a rock who don't get the reference, that translates to not good.
Between going to school with a full course-load, working 2nd shift full time, and being pregnant, I feel like I have no me-time anymore. And me-time is very important. This is when naps get taken, books get read, mandatory TV shows get watched, and creative things happen. It feels like so long since any of those have happened. (Also not good).
Generally speaking, I like to write. I used to write all the time. In fact, I was working on a book that I hoped to someday have published, with several other ideas waiting patiently for their turn. Alas, life got in the way and it's been a few months since I've been able to put anything in ink (so, you can see writing is another "ink" form I hope to be blogging about on occasion).
For English class, we have to write an essay. I'm not looking forward to this. I don't tend to do well when writing what someone else wants me to. I prefer fiction over non-fiction or factual essays. I feel like in writing the sort of stuff require for school the writing falls flat. I can't use my "voice". I can't be sarcastic. I can't use sentence fragments. All of which I can do here on my blog or in a novel, when used properly. I have to be structured and 100% correct. Things I don't have to be when writing a first person young adult fiction novel.
So, I can't say I'm thrilled about this writing assignment. I'd much rather take a creative writing course. I'd much rather be sleeping.

2 comments:

  1. I hear you, Alissa! Hopefully I will be able to show you this week that you CAN use your voice in academic essays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also hate writing assignments. Most of the time you're locked into a category that you don't care about at all. That's why I like the freedom that Miss Evans gives us. The only bad thing is when I don't have any guide lines to help me with my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete